Surgery University Hospital, Rostock
Renovation of a heritage-protected building
The building complex, originally planned in 1914, was built in 1929 and entered into service in 1930. The imposing west wing, with the original main entrance and the auditorium, is situated between the virtually identical north and south wings. The entire building has three levels, including basement, of masonry construction, and an upgraded attic level.
Particular challenges associated with the renovation of this heritage-protected building included inadequate as-built/as-modified documentation, the discovery of hazardous materials, the positioning of the new spiral staircase in the foyer, and the reconstruction of the auditorium in a manner befitting the building’s protected status.
Gross floor area: approx. 14,130 m²